Friday 10 May 2019

POEM OF THE MONTH BY IFEANYI OKWOSHA READ AT LOUDTHOTZ POETRY OPEN READING SEASON 10 EPISODE 05 OCEAN



IFEANY OKWOSHA (left) WINNER POEM OF THE MONTH

I Know a River – Poem of the month

I know a river,
No, not a river,
A different body of water
Flowing through veins
Its purifying movement holds living fire

I remember that river in Aba
Where I learnt how to swim
Waterside we called it
We never asked its mother its real name.
We should have
If we had, maybe when I call now
It will answer.

I know a body of water.

Uhamiri whose mother is Ogbuide
They call her Oguta lake
That’s where I call home

It has a story whose beginnings
I do not know
But I know a story around it
And its neighbour Urashi the Niger.
The story of a broken courtship,
Of a separation
That to this day is a wonder
A love story with thorns
If you paddle across either side
You dare not call the other by its real name.

Ifeanyi 0kwosha   

No comments:

Post a Comment