Sunday 12 May 2019

"AWAKE" WRITTEN AND READ BY ERHIO AT THE LOUDTHOTZ POETRY OPEN READING SEASON 10 EPISODE 05 OCEAND




AWAKE
I wanted to be a stream
A stream with a happy bubbling heart
Spreading joy along my path
Assuaging the thirsty along my way
Sharing drops of love each day
Such a happy dream
But I didn't become that stream
Instead for years I was a pond
Though struck with so many arrows
I kept mute and refused to respond
Run! said my friend the Sparrow
But I stayed 
My heart in total disarray
I allowed the hills lock me in
For loneliness was not a sin
To partnerships I turned blind
Playing them all out in my mind
To others I seemed uncaring
But I knew I was just not daring
Afraid to fall
Afraid to lose it all
Until one day it rained
Heavy pelts hit me till I was drained
No longer self contained
I opened up and began to glow
Then I began to flow
I became a river
A natural giver
At times I needed to receive to keep moving on
Either way I danced along
I became friends with the sun
The stars knew me by name
When the arrows came
I adjusted and flowed calmly on again
Wandering over field after field
My heart now covered by a shield
I knew where I belonged
I could sing happy songs
I sang till the river became a vast sea
As wide as the heart could see
No longer would I dream
Of becoming a stream
Or stay like a despondent pond all day
Or like a river just wander away
I became an ocean vast and deep
With only a few discovering the treasures I keep
As my waves bubbled to the shore
My heart opened up more and more
Calling out to the dry stones and sand
Hoping one day they will understand 
Every smile
Had crossed miles
Every word
Sharpened by a sword
I stood in the vineyard of the Lord
No longer asleep
But as a tiny ocean vast and deep

Erhio

No comments:

Post a Comment