Friday 12 October 2012

I AM NOT A NIGERIAN, A POEM WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY KEMI BONUOLA AT LOUDTHOTZ POETRY OPEN READING SEASON 3 EPISODE 10



I am not Nigerian (BEST POEM OCTOBER, 2012)
Doh Re Mi
Mi Re Doh
Re Mi Re Mi
Across the shores of a
Land long developed I
Trod yet I never forgot
The musical notes
Of my mother tongue

Olúwakémi -re mi re mi re                                                  
When they asked what name I bore
I proudly sang out my identity
You also can make music out
Of your name I urged the colored
I say colored because they say
“I am white”
Is not white a color?

They call me black and
I shake my head in rejection
I am not black
Black and white does not exist in
Heaven from whence I come
Only male and female
I am female
They say I act like
The rest of them
Nigerians who cheat and lie and corrode
I spit out with fervor
I am not Nigeria-n
They named the Giant of Africa so
I am not Nigerian

 I am Àkànké (Doh Doh Mi)
I am a beautiful dark complexioned female of
Yoruba descent, Arewà adumaradan
I was Yoruba before the colored man
Made me Nigerian
I am
I am Yoruba - Doh Doh Mi
As I returned to the land of my birth
My heart beat faster
Àjò o da bi ile
Though I envy the sanity
Of the foreign land
I only felt free
When my feet touched
Native soil.
Kemi bon

1 comment: